Essential worker wearing PPE

COVID-19: Which essential workers face the highest exposure risk?

Covid-19 continues to put essential workers at risk, but which jobs specifically incur the greatest risk of exposure?

As strict social distancing currently is the only way to slow the spread of COVID-19, many individuals have begun to work from home. Unfortunately, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, telework is a luxury that is only available to 29% of Americans. As for the remaining 71%, a significant segment of has lost their jobs as a result of business slowdowns and forced shutdowns. Others have been deemed “essential workers” and have been facing a much higher risk of exposure to the coronavirus.

Concerning essential workers, some occupations have a much higher risk of contracting the coronavirus than others. Based on data from the U.S. Department of Labor, the Visual Capitalist has ranked these occupations based on:

  1. Contact with Others:

How much contact with others does the job require?

  1. Physical Proximity:

What extent of physical proximity does this job require?

  1. Exposure to Disease and Infection:

How often could a worker be exposed to disease or infection?

 

Occupation
COVID-19
Risk
Score
Average
Annual
Income
Number
of
Employed
Dental Hygienists 99.7 $74k 215,150
Respiratory

Therapy

Technicians

95.0 $60k 129,600
Dental Assistants 92.5 $38k 341,060
Dentists, General 92.1 $151k 113,000
Orderlies

(Patient Care

Assistants)

90.2 $28k 50,100
Family and General

Practitioners

90.1 $201k 114,130
Registered Nurses 86.1 $71k 2,951,960
Respiratory

Therapists

84.2 $60k 129,600
Radiologic

Technicians

84.1 $59k 205,590
Licensed Practical

and Licensed

Vocational Nurses

82.1 $46k 701,690
Surgical

Technologists

80.6 $47k 110,160
Diagnostic Medical

Sonographers

80.4 $72k 71,130
Physical Therapist

Aides

80.3 $26k 47,260
Physician

Assistants

80.0 $108k 114,710
Internists,

General

(Internal Medicine)

79.8 $194k 37,820
Cardiovascular

Technologists

and Technicians

79.3 $56k 56,560
Physical Therapist

Assistants

79.3 $58k 94,250
Physical Therapists 78.6 $87k 228,600
Occupational

Therapists

77.7 $84k 126,900

Flight Attendants

75.6 $56k

118,770

 

 

Related articles:

How long will the COVID-19 crisis last?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *